alright, you guys know about my cheese obsession by now, right? if not, now you do. I LOVE CHEESE. in all of its forms. every single last bit of it. i was basically a mouse in a former life. but anyways, now that that’s out in the open you should also know that alfredo sauce is like the be-all and end-all of cheese for me. i literally will eat cheese tortellini smothered in alfredo sauce with parmesan cheese dusted on top. i’m not kidding. it’s like that.
YES, i do love alfredo sauce in its truest form (especially the ones from olive garden and cheesecake factory ….mmmmm), BUT i am WILLING to try a slightly healthier version for the sake of my cholesterol. let’s give this one from Damn Delicious a whirl.
(skinny) fettuccine alfredo
time: 20 minutes
• 8 ounces fettuccine
• 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
• 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
• 1 1/4 cups 2% milk, or more, as needed
• 2 tablespoons heavy cream
• 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
• 2 ounces neufchatel cheese, cubed
• 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
• kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
• 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves
• in a large pot of boiling salted water, cook pasta according to package instructions; drain well.
• melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat.
• whisk in flour until lightly browned, about 1 minute.
• gradually whisk in milk and cook, whisking constantly, until incorporated, about 1-2 minutes.
• stir in heavy cream and garlic powder until slightly thickened, about 1 minute.
• stir in cheeses until melted, about 1-2 minutes. if the mixture is too thick, add more milk as needed; season with salt and pepper to taste.
• stir in pasta and gently toss to combine.
• serve immediately, garnished with parsley.
trial (and error) verdict