let’s just say vegetables and i haven’t always been besties. when i was little it used to take me ten minutes to eat one little baby carrot. i hated it. i couldn’t swallow it, i just couldn’t. i’ve gotten a little better over the past couple years – not nearly as much as i would like – but nonetheless it’s progress.
which brings me to this salad. kale may be all the rage, but i have never actually eaten a kale salad in my life. this one from Gimme Some Oven is going to be out of my element for sure, but it looks so good i just have to try it. here goes nothing.
time: 15 mins.
• 3 cups finely chopped kale leaves
• 2 cups finely chopped broccoli florets
• 2 cups finely chopped red cabbage
• 1 cup matchstick (shredded) carrots
• 1 cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro leaves
• 1/2 cup toasted slivered almonds
• 1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
• 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and diced
• 1 batch carrot ginger dressing
carrot ginger dressing
• 1 large carrot, peeled and roughly chopped
• 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
• 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
• 1 tablespoon finely-chopped fresh ginger
• 1 tablespoon honey
• 1 tablespoon white (shiro) miso
• 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
• kosher salt and black pepper, to taste
• to make the salad, add all ingredients together in a large bowl and toss to combine. serve immediately.
• to make the dressing, add all ingredients to a blender or food processor. pulse until completely smooth. season to taste with salt and pepper, and/or add extra honey.
trial (and error) verdict